Server Manager is a new feature that is included in Windows Server 2008, which is centralized tool to guide system administrators through the process of installing, configuring, and managing server Roles and Features available with Windows 2008 Server.
Server Manager is launched automatically after Initial Configuration Tasks (ICT). You can select not to open the Server Manager at start-up by checking “Do not show me this console at logon” check box. If you select Server Manager not to start up automatically, it can still be accessed by the methods listed below.
• Open the Start menu, and then click Server Manager at the top of the menu.
• Select menu path Start > Administrative Tools > Server Manager.
• Right-click Computer, and then choose Manage.
• Open Run dialog box from start menu, type "servermanager.msc" and hit enter.
Server Manager is available as a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in and it provides information about server configuration, installed roles, status of installed roles, tools for adding and removing Windows 2008 roles and features. Server Manager contains the following elements.
• Initial Configuration Tasks (ICT)
• Add Roles Wizard
• Add Role Services Wizard
• Add Features Wizard
• Remove Roles Wizard
• Remove Role Services Wizard
• Remove Features Wizard
• Command-line tools
Server Manager MMC snap-in is shown below.
Windows 2008 Server Roles can be considered as the primary function of a server. Windows 2008 Server Features are minor function of a server that supports the functionality of a role.
Roles available in Windows 2008 Server
• Active Directory Certificate Services
• Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)
• Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS)
• Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS)
• Active Directory Rights Management Services (AD RMS)
• Application Server
• DHCP Server
• DNS Server
• Fax Server
• File Services
• Network Policy and Access Services
• Print Services
• Terminal Services
• Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI) Services
• Web Server (IIS)
• Windows Deployment Services
Features available in Windows 2008 Server
• NET Framework 3.0 Features
• BitLocker Drive Encryption
• BITS Server Extensions
• Connection Manager Administration Kit
• Desktop Experience
• Failover Clustering
• Group Policy Management
• Internet Printing Client
• Internet Storage Name Server
• LPR Port Monitor
• Message Queuing
• Multipath IO
• Network Load Balancing
• Peer Name Resolution Protocol
• Quality Windows Audio-Video Experience
• Remote Assistance
• Remote Differential Compression
• Remote Server Administration Tools
• Removable Storage Manager
• RPC over HTTP Proxy
• Simple TCP/IP Services
• SNMP Services
• SMTP Server
• Storage Manager for SAN
• Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications
• Telnet Client
• Telnet Server
• TFTP Client
• Windows Internal Database
• Windows PowerShell
• Windows Process ActivatitionService
• Windows Server Backup Features
• Windows System Resource Manager
• WINS Server
• Wireless LAN Services