The advent of the World Wide Web (WWW) in the mid-1990s has completely revolutionized the way world communicate. There is a need to secure the Web Servers, secure the Web communications and web transactions, Web Browsers and everything which is related with web. To learn web security in deep, you should have a thorough knowledge of TCP/IP protocol suit. Click the following link to refresh your knowledge in TCP/IP.
Leading Web Server Software products are Apache Web Server, Internet Information Services (IIS), Zeus Web Server, AOL Server, Oracle iPlanet Web Server (Formerly Sun Java System Web Server) etc.
Internet Information Services (IIS) is a Microsoft product and it is designed to use with Windows Server products. Internet Information Services (IIS) was initially available with Windows NT 3.51. Internet Information Services (IIS) 2.0 was available with Windows NT 4.0. The support for server side scripting Active Server Pages (ASP) for dynamic content was included in IIS 3.0.
Internet Information Services (IIS) 7 is a major upgrade of IIS, and it is available with Windows Vista and Windows 2008 Server. It includes several new functionalities and some of them are listed below.
• The ability to have HttpModules and HttpHandlers participate in all requests to a server. No need to map requests to the ASP.NET ISAPI in order to write managed modules that participate in requests.
• Integration of the ASP.NET configuration system with IIS. IIS now uses the same web.config configuration model as ASP.NET, which means you can have both ASP.NET and IIS configuration settings in the same file together.
• An integrated management tool that manages both IIS and ASP.NET settings together.
• Better request auditing and error debugging available.
• Better configuration APIs and command-line tools.