1. Start the machine with the bootable Windows 2003 CD in the CD-ROM drive.
2. Press a key when prompted. When all drivers have loaded and the Windows Server 2003 Executive has initialised, a Welcome to Setup screen appears.
3. There are three options. Press Enter to continue with Setup.
4. The Windows Server 2003 Licensing Agreement screen appears. This contains the text of the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).
5. Press F8 to agree to the terms of the EULA. A partition management screen appears. If you are installing on a new server, the drives show a status of Unpartitioned Space. If you have existing partitions that you want to remove, highlight the partition name and press D. Setup responds with two confirmation screens to delete the partition. The first confirmation screen appears if the partition is a system partition. Press Enter to confirm. The second confirmation screen asks you to press L.
6. After all partitions have been removed, highlight the Unpartitioned Space entry and press C to create a partition.
7. When you create a partition, Setup prompts you to specify the size of the partition in MB. Give the operating system at least 3GB, with 4GB preferred.
8. When the partition has been created, Setup returns to the partition management screen. Highlight the newly created partition and press Enter to install Windows Server 2003 into that partition.
9. Setup now prompts you to format the partition using either NTFS or FAT. You have the option of a standard or fast format. (When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume. If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.)
10. Select a format type and press Enter. Setup formats the partition and displays a progress bar.
11. When the format is finished, Setup copies installation files from the CD to the newly formatted partition.
12. When the file copy completes, the system restarts to graphical mode.